Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Software Engineer II on the Medical Reporting team is responsible for building and supporting FMI reporting platform and its components. You will be helping design and develop software to help doctors match patients to more advanced treatment options. Additionally, you will be making cancer data more accessible to clinicians, researchers and patients themselves. This position completes design, development, unit testing, code reviews, and development of technical documentation. As a Software Engineer II, you will be creating usable, testable and efficient code with proper guidance.
• Create custom programs and applications designated by business need.
• Develop FMI software; in particular, FMI’s Reporting platform and components
• Communicate with applicable stakeholders to obtain information on requirements.
• Write, test, and refactor code that is: reusable, testable, efficient, clean, and well commented.
• Maintain efforts for product or platform to be: cloud-native, resilient, secure and scalable.
• Ensure code adheres to patterns and any established standards.
• Project Delivery
• Define and document architecture, functional and design requirements.
• Develop formal technical specifications based upon requirements captured.
• Engineer installation qualifications and operational qualifications.
• Perform testing of code and work prior to implementation.
• Help define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery.
• Participate in and conduct regular peer design and code reviews.
• Conform to coding conventions and all aspects of the software development life cycle.
• Design initiatives that ensure applications integrate seamlessly with other programs in-use at FMI, including Customer Relationship Management tools, Medical Reporting systems, Billing systems and the Laboratory Information Management System.
• Provide software engineering expertise and support to the business per business needs.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years of professional information technology experience in lieu of a degree, AND
• 1+ years of software engineering experience
• Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in Software Engineering, Programming, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or related field
• Master’s Degree in Software Engineering
• Technology Certifications
• 2.5+ years of software engineering experience
• 2+ years of experience working with Amazon Web Services or similar cloud platform
• Expert knowledge of object-oriented programming and functional programming languages
• Experience with modern web technologies and techniques, including but not limited to:
· ECMAScript 2015/2016 (ES6/7)
· CSS pre-processors (SASS, Less, Stylus)
· NPM package ecosystem
• Exposure to cloud development (Amazon Web Services, Azure, etc.)
• Familiarity with Lambda, Docker, containerization and microservices
• Experience writing unit tests using:
• Solid knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, and SCSS
• Demonstrated history of writing tests prior to other steps
• Excellent presentation skills and basic knowledge of presentation software
• Experience writing code for cross-browser compatibility
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Demonstrated ability of a strong work ethic and of meeting project deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, collaborate team environment
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!