Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Software Engineer II, Medical Reporting role works as part of the software team responsible for the automated and manual content curation features of FMI’s individualized reports for trial and therapy options for patients and oncologists. The position works with the Medical Reporting team, technical lead, product owner and scrum master to deliver functionality on an iterative basis with the goal of improving patient care through improving information on reports.
· Attend cross-functional meetings with project managers, end users and other internal and external stakeholders at pre-set intervals to gather information for requirements.
· Define and document architecture, design requirements, functional requirements, and formal technical specifications based upon information provided.
· Write, test, and refactor code that is elegant, clean, and adheres to patterns and established standards.
· Maintain efforts for product or platform to be resilient, cloud-native, secure, and scalable.
· Integrate and deploy code using provisioning tools, release tools, and continuous Integration CI/Continuous Delivery CD pipeline.
· Engineer installation qualifications and operational qualifications.
• Project Delivery
· Deliver complex products that are production hardened, high quality and on time based on the team's planning activities.
· Contribute to common code.
· Prioritize tasks based on communicated goals and business/product urgency.
· In design reviews or PRs, spends bulk of time on issues pertaining to the code or feature.
· Proactively identifies, clarifies, and fixes problems, inconsistencies or technical limitations of requirements.
· Help define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery.
· Conform to all aspects of the software development life cycle.
· Presents findings and responds to questions and feedback.
· Perform research focusing on usability, scalability, performance and trade-offs, and share the knowledge with the team.
· Clarifies assumptions, needs and goals upfront to minimize re-work
· Offers actionable and helpful feedback to others (pairing, design reviews, code reviews, etc)
· Proactively participate in team planning activities and sprint ceremonies (including but not limited to: sprint planning, quarterly planning, and stand-ups)
· Collaboration with other team members in working with stakeholders to define requirements based on user and business needs
· Create new features for the Medical Reporting platform based on user feedback and business needs.
· Provide consistent and on-going attention to the quality and reliability of the Medical Reporting software as a product.
· Other responsibilities related to software engineering as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 1+ year(s) of prior software engineering experience
• Degree in Software Engineering, Programming, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or related field
• 2+ years of software engineering experience
• 2+ year(s) of experience working with Amazon Web Services or similar cloud platform
• Good knowledge and experience working with data modeling and database development techniques (Postgres/Oracle databases, JSON data, Database Transactions)
• Architect complex software engineering solutions with an emphasis on creating highly performant services
• Experience building serverless applications, utilizing infrastructure similar to AWS SQS and Lambda
• Experience in genomics or other field of biology/biotech
• Expertise in highly automated continuous delivery environments
• Experience with testing tools and processes associated with modern web technologies
• Experience building application features based on user input and requirement definition
• Experience with containerized delivery/deployment of software (Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon AWS ECS, etc.)
• Strong interpersonal skills including collaboration and problem solving
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of patient data privacy
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.