Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
We are looking for a Software Engineer III to join our Data Engineering team at FMI. You will help transform our data into products that drive cancer research. This provides a real impact improving and extending lives of patients everywhere. This position completes design, development, unit testing, code reviews, and generates technical documentation. Code created in this position will be reusable, testable, efficient, clean, and well documented.
This position is located in Boston, MA and is eligible for both relocation and immigration sponsorship.
· Help to design, develop, and maintain a robust and scalable data platform.
· Write, test, and refactor high quality software that is cloud-native, resilient, secure, and scalable.
· Build batch and streaming pipelines for the analysis of FMI’s data assets.
· Partner with other team members to:
· Investigate design approaches;
· Prototype new technologies; and,
· Evaluate technical feasibility.
· Implement algorithms developed by our data scientists.
· Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements, including but not limited to automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and redesigning infrastructure for greater scalability.
· Deliver contributions in an Agile approach and leveraging Agile methodology,
· Other duties pertaining to that of a Software Engineer III as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree AND 4+ years of professional software engineering experience OR 9+ years of professional software engineering experience
· Proficiency in at least one of Java or Python
Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar
6+ years of software engineering experience
History of leading and mentoring less experienced software engineers
Data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, Dagster, Nextflow, and others
Relational databases, including:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar cloud platforms
Containerization/containerized deployment of software: Docker, Kubernetes, Singularity, and others
Profiling applications and JVM tuning
Strong refactoring abilities and test automation skills
Data analysis using Python and/or R
NoSQL database technologies such as document stores and graph databases
Data processing tools Spark, Storm, Hadoop, Heron, and others
Prior life science experience, particularly in genomics or biotechnology
Experience building and delivering Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) solutions
Demonstrated understanding of Agile software delivery
Strong interpersonal skills that include successful collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
Understanding of CCPA, HITRUST, HIPAA, other regulations pertinent to data security, and the importance of patient data privacy
Commitment to reflect FMI's values: passion, patients, innovation and collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our second annual Hackathon took place virtually this year, providing our employees with the opportunity to pause their daily jobs and creatively problem solve with people from across the company.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!