Every patient sample is a story.
That's why our Lab Ops team is focused on providing physicians with comprehensive genomic information about each person's cancer. Information that's as unique as the patients are. The insights discovered in our labs may help change their story.
About the Job
The Specimen Return Specialist II is responsible for the day to day operation of FMI’s Specimen Return process. This position is instrumental in the successful operation of the laboratory and, as a result, to the care of patients. A sense of urgency, experience with shipping processes, combined with a strong attention to detail are the major attributes and skills utilized by the incumbent in this key laboratory operations position.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from FMI Quality Assurance regarding regulatory guidelines.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Process address information provided daily to generate shipping labels.
• Pull blocks and slides (if applicable) for associated reports.
• Sort and file routed FFPE blocks from the Histology area into block storage in chronological order.
• Assemble packages containing the supplied report, block, and shipping label for shipment. Affix proper postage to each package in preparation for shipping.
• Update sample tracking system as required.
• Work with Client Services team to expedite block return requests.
• Work in a lab environment using chemicals and regents.
• Begin and complete assignments independently with minimal supervision.
• Collaborate with other departments and colleagues for problem solving.
• Be able to send out older material and ship international samples with minimal supervision.
• QC FFPE blocks and place barcode on QC sheet.
• Readily respond to emails, complaints and inquiries regarding block return requests.
• Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or General Education Degree
• 1+ year(s) of data entry or data review experience
• 1+ year(s) of block procurement or professional shipping and receiving experience
• Associate's Degree or other advanced education
• 2+ years of experience working in a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) laboratory, clinical lab environment or other clinical diagnostics setting
• Experience with accessioning and/or anatomic pathology, shipping and receiving and working in a regulated environment (such as CLIA, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), or College of American Pathologists (CAP))
• Demonstrated attention to detail
• Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work in laboratory environment in the presence of chemicals and reagents
• Excellent computer/data entry and communication skills
• Strong organizational and documentation skills
• Effective verbal and written communication skills, ability to interact constructively with peers/teams, and ability to seek outside resources as needed
• Intermediate computer skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!