Full Time | San Diego | California | United States
About the Job
The Senior Director leads the Early Research and Development department and leads systematic reviews of new technologies and biomarker candidates as well as assigned projects to addressing unmet needs in the oncology field. The position manages and oversees the daily aspects of these projects, designs and executes experiments, and communicates on a regular basis the progress of each assigned project. The role provides high-level strategic planning and drives operational framework for experimental projects that support FMI’s mission, medical and scientific roadmaps. The Senior Director leverages advanced molecular scientific knowledge and experience in making plans and judgements on scientific areas of significance to the company. This role will deport directly into our Chief Scientific Officer and will sit on the Research & Development leadership team.
• Oversee the Research and Early Development area of FMI and provide direction on areas of focus for the function to meet current and long-term objectives.
• Play a key role in the R&D Leadership team and provide critical information to allow Foundation to meet current and long-term objectives
• Partner with the cross-functional teams in identifying project risks, progress, results, and next steps.
• Report on project risks, progress and results to stakeholders including the Research and Development leadership team and executives.
• Draft and oversee experimental plans and design proposals on how to asses new, exploratory biomarker concepts and technologies in the oncology field from literatures spanning preclinical and clinical research in genetic, epigenetics, molecular, cellular, imaging and digital phenotyping.
• Oversee, devise and help execute experiments to support projects from research to early development.
• Represent departmental and company interests in internal and external communication.
• Facilitate the coordination of all inter- and intra-departmental inquiry responses for a time-sensitive workflow that delivers best practice Research and Early Development.
• Design and implement research and development protocols or projects.
• Execute advanced analytical techniques to extend scientific theories into innovative research projects.
• Utilize diverse knowledge of scientific research principles, practices and protocols in research projects.
• Interact with lines of business in team approach to translate company strategic vision into successful Research and Early Development projects crossing multiple Departments.
• Actively participate in FMI publications and the intellectual property filling process.
• Develop robust assays and workflows.
• Prepare and contribute to the molecular sciences budget.
• Hire, manage, direct, evaluate, and complete supervisory tasks for direct reports.
• Other projects as assigned.
• Ph.D. in a life sciences field
• 8+ years postdoctoral research and development experience
• Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or Epigenetics
• Prior work experience in the molecular diagnostic industry with cutting-edge applications in the oncology and cancer biology fields
• Extensive knowledge of molecular biology, nucleic acids, genomics, and associated laboratory technics and technologies
• Demonstrated strengths in experiment design, execution and data analysis
• Advanced knowledge of clinical laboratory and in vitro diagnostic prognostic assays, product development, validation concepts, and practices
• Demonstrated history of independent and collaborative work
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to work across functions and within external collaborations
• Excellent presentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to organize and communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner to cross-functional audiences
• Strong organizational and time-management skills and demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional collaborations including managing relationships with academic and industry collaborators
• Successful in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary, dynamic, and result-oriented work environment
• Ability to perform careful, detail-oriented work under deadline pressure
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to FMI Values: passion, patients, innovation and collaboration
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.