About the Job
The Supervisor, Accessioning is responsible for ensuring that work in FMI’s accessioning lab is performed in accordance with applicable regulations, including Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), College of American Pathologists (CAP) and New York state guidelines and other regulatory bodies. This position manages the Accessioning team’s productivity within Lab Operations, maintains coordination and supervision of all accessioning functions, and meets corporate goals for turn-around-time (TAT). This supervisory role is responsible for staff scheduling as well as the professional development and support of Accessioning Technicians.
• Plan and supervise the daily operation of the Accessioning department to ensure that schedules are maintained, all deadlines are met, and operational efficiency is achieved.
• Establish and routinely evaluate Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to provide input and recommendations that improve daily operations for operational excellence and to ensure the effective use of resources.
• Interview and participate in hiring of Accessioning Technicians.
• Provide feedback and mentorship to Accessioning Technicians, draft and deliver performance reviews, and ensure compliance with FMI expectations.
• Coordinate Accessioning team duties, including assignments and administration of functions.
• Provide input and recommendations that improve daily operations and to ensure the effective use of resources.
• Cross-site and cross-functional collaboration to ensure the highest quality standards are maintained
• Ensure patient or/physician inquiries receive timely responses.
• Oversee the management of new and existing standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Maintain proper documentation including proper specimen handling, labeling, and preparation of worksheets.
• Ensure specimen identification and integrity is maintained throughout all processes.
• Promote accuracy and integrity of specimen processing functions.
• Enforce proper safety measures, including disposal and labeling of biohazard waste.
• Ensure regulatory compliance by following department and corporate safety policies.
• Participate in biohazard, chemical, radiation safety, and other education programs.
• Assist with accessioning schedule changes, including weekend or off-hours work.
• Work in a lab environment using chemicals and regents.
• Collaborate with other departments and colleagues for problem solving.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or equivalent General Education Degree
• 8+ years of experience working in a biotech, healthcare or supply chain role
• 1+ years of experience in a team lead or supervisory role
• Bachelors’ Degree
• 5+ years of experience working in a CLIA laboratory or other clinical diagnostics setting
• 9+ years of experience in a supervisor role within a CLIA Laboratory
• Strong computer proficiency and data entry skills
• Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Prior use of laboratory management systems or the ability to learn these systems
• Must be able to collaborate, problem solve, and effectively communicate with other departments and colleagues via verbal and written correspondence
• Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated experience handling multiple tasks at once
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with peers in a fast-paced and cross-functional results-oriented team environment
• Demonstrated experience working within tight timelines for successful execution of project and program goals
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned tasks
• Ability to adapt to changing procedures, policies and work environment
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.