Full Time | Boston | Massachusetts | United States
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Systems Engineer provides advanced troubleshooting and system analysis for the Information Technology department and is responsible for ensuring that FMI operating systems and applications are running in optimal conditions for all users. The Systems Engineer maintains day to day Information Technology operations by providing support to members of the IT Operations Team on complex issues, while also building out the IT systems-related infrastructure.
• Lead and design IT infrastructure systems as well as systems related to business-critical projects.
• Provide advanced troubleshooting and problem resolution of escalated production systems and services.
• Conduct periodic maintenance of hardware and software updates to systems to ensure stable performance of the environment.
• Support the day-to-day operations and availability of Foundation Medicine Windows, Linux, Virtualization, and storage environments.
• Support the Database Team in provision of backups as needed.
• Support all teams with Patching for their servers.
• Complete security hardening and performance tuning of IT systems.
• Provide support and technical to members of the IT Operations team.
• Author and revise documentation of environment and operation procedures as needed.
• Provision IT systems.
• Provide best practice customer service to all users of the support desk.
• Participate in 24x7x365 on-call rotation on an as needed basis.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 2+ years of experience in an information technology support function
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Management Information Systems
• Any of the following certification(s): Microsoft, A+, Network+ Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate or Expert, Red Hat Certified System Administrator or Engineer, VMware Professional or Advanced Professional
• Proficiency in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, Unix, Linux, VMware, and other enterprise-class operating systems
• Working knowledge of Apple OS X Operating systems and of Microsoft Office 2010, 2013, and 2016 products
· working with NAS and SAN technologies (EMC, NetApp, IBM, Dell, HP, Hitachi) and with high-performance computing
· working with enterprise-class Anti-Virus technologies such as Symantec, enterprise Mobile Device Management technologies, and enterprise class server hardware (HP Proliant, Dell PowerEdge, Cisco UCS)
· with mobile security/encryption technologies
· working with the following Microsoft products:
· Active Directory
· Structured Query Language (SQL) Server
· Microsoft: System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
· System Center Operations Manager (SCOM)
· Internet Information Services (IIS)
· Doman Name System (DNS)
· Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
· Network Access Protection (NAP)
· working in a laboratory environment
• Firm understanding of network topology
• Strong interpersonal skills that include effective written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Our Data and Tech teams are growing. Hear from the teams about why they chose Foundation Medicine and why they stay.
Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.