The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
This role is on the Web Applications sub-team of the Computational Biology, Engineering group. This team is responsible for designing and developing human interfaces for our genomic profile results. We build web applications that enable global production operations on cloud deployed systems. The incumbent's responsibilities include web design and development, prototyping, wire-framing, development of stakeholder workflows, application packaging and deployment, scalable REST services, and application messaging. This position includes visual design, web development, unit testing, code reviews, and technical documentation, as well as ownership of code beyond deployment. The code developed for this role is to be reusable, testable, efficient, clean, and well commented. This individual makes well-reasoned decisions understanding the trade-offs and provides support to less experienced team members.
• Work with stakeholders and users to understand scenarios and workflows that are critical for a product.
• Work closely with key stakeholders and product owners to understand the business goals for projects and how those align with user needs and eventual design responses.
• Collaborate with cross-functional team members to explore concepts that address user needs and business goals as they align with the product roadmap.
• Work with product owners and developers to validate possible solutions to challenges and opportunities.
• Understand and build foundational knowledge of design problems and capture contextual understanding of how our users and customers function and interact with FMI products and services.
• Help define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery.
• Create custom programs and applications as designated by business need.
• Write, test, and refactor web application code that is reusable, testable, efficient, well architected, and well commented.
• Define and document architecture and formal technical specifications based upon information provided.
• Help educate team members of browser best practices – web standards, responsive design, client-side technologies.
• Ensure code adheres to patterns and any established standards.
• Participate in regular peer design and code reviews.
• Conform to coding conventions and all aspects of the software development life cycle.
• Deliver contributions in an Agile approach and leveraging Agile methodology.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 4+ years of experience supporting product/service design in a research capacity
• Advanced Degree in the social sciences (e.g., Psychology, Anthropology), Human Factors, HCI, or a related field
• 6+ years of professional experience leading both generative user research projects and evaluative testing
• Proficiency in web technologies
• Demonstrated understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods
• Demonstrated ability to communicate research and insights to others
• Experience conducting generative research leading to frameworks and personas or archetypes
• General domain experience in the healthcare field
• Expertise in design thinking and UX fundamentals, including strategy, research, usability, rapid iteration, and prototyping
• Experience with the following a plus:
• Genomics domain experience
• Understanding of Unix or Unix-like operating systems
• Familiarity with continuous integration, continuous deployment, and Agile concepts
• Demonstrated history of test development
• Understanding of HIPAA, patient data privacy, and regulated software engineering
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!